Frequently Asked Questions

What is Erasmus + Study mobility?

Erasmus learning mobility is that students can perform one or two semesters of education in an academic year in a contracted higher education institution in a European Union member country. An Erasmus Bilateral Agreement with the relevant department at a higher education institution holding an Erasmus Agreement (ECHE) in a European Union member country is required.

What is Erasmus+ Traineeship Mobility? 

You can apply to Erasmus+ Traineeship program and be an intern at any of the companies in one of member countries of European Union. This mobility should be planned as minimum of 2 months and can be up to 12 months. It must be related with your department here at Üsküdar University. 

What does the Erasmus + Program bring?

Erasmus Program gives you the opportunity to experience abroad, to study in a multicultural environment, to recognize different cultures, to introduce Turkish culture, to make new friends, to be a student at a different school and to see a different system.

How long can I stay abroad outside of the Erasmus + Program?

Erasmus study mobility can be minimum 3 months and maximum 12 months. The Erasmus / Bilateral Agreement of the department / faculty shows your exchange. Mobility activities that last less than 3 months are not covered by Erasmus and cannot be granted. For the traineeship program, minimum period is 2 months. 

You can benefit from Erasmus+ program, no matter it is a traineeship or a study program, up to 12 months in total- for each academic cycle (12 months for Associate degree, another 12 months for undergraduate and 12 months for MA and Doctoral levels). 

Who can benefit from Erasmus + learning mobility?

Vocational school, undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students studying full-time at a higher education institution can benefit from Erasmus learning mobility.

I'm in my first class year. Can I benefit from Erasmus?

Applications for study mobility will be received for the next academic year. So you can apply for the second grade during your first year. 

You can plan a traineeship in the summer time right after the end of your first year. 

Note: Students studying a preparatory year for English are not considered to be a full time student. 

I am a student with a disability, are the conditions the same for me?

Students with disabilities have 10 points more gains in participating in the Erasmus program. Also a portion of the extra expenses which is related with your requirements can be waived through Erasmus+ funding program. 

I have lessons from below, or failed courses, can I benefit from Erasmus + Learning Mobility?

Yes. It does not prevent them from being an Erasmus student. As lon as you meet the minimum criteria, you can apply. You should check the application call of that particiualr program from 'Announcements' part  at our website. 

Selction criteria, grants, quotas determined are subject to change each year. You should check the relevant announcement and application call of that year.

Can I go to any university/company I want in Europe as an Erasmus+ student?

For study program, your department / college / institute must have a Bilateral Agreement regarding the program you are attending. You can find out here if there is an agreement about your department, if any, with which country / university.

You can do your traineeship in any of the European Union member country regardless of a mutual agreement signed between Üsküdar University and that company/university. Traineeship position must be relevant with your academic program. Please check most up-to-date information from the application call published at the 'Announcements' section of our website. 

My department / faculty does not have a Bilateral Agreement but the university has a bilateral agreement. Can I benefit from Erasmus+?

No. As an Erasmus student, you can only go to the universities that your department has an agreement with.

How important is English in Student Mobility?

As an Erasmus student, the student going abroad must know a good level of English. The English language is largely unifying in European countries. However, it is also possible to ask for the language of instruction in the school attended.

The student must know English or the language of the country he / she is able to fulfill the requirements of Erasmus education or internship mobility and know which language or languages are accepted in the institution to be visited before starting the activity.

Should I take the foreign language exam to take advantage of the Erasmus+ program?

Yes. While selecting the Erasmus student mobility student, 50% of the grade average and 50% of the language score are taken and according to the calculated weighted average, the number of students allowed by the Bilateral Agreement quota becomes Erasmus candidate students. Students who apply to benefit from the program is obliged to take the foreign language exams held at the places and dates announced on our page.

Can I change my preference?

Empty quotas are required for students to make change of preference. As long as there are vacant quotas, the petition approved and signed by the department coordinator and the justification of the student must be submitted to the Erasmus Office.

Is there a certain number of courses I will take in the institution I will go to?

Students going to study program at one of our partner universities should take a minimum of 30 ECTS per semester of their stay. For student's assurance of recognition of courses back to home university, they sign a learning agreement with the faculty prior to their Erasmus program start. Course names and contents are not expected to be exactly the same, it is sufficient that the course contents are matching to a level. 

While choosing a course, 30 ECTS credits should be taken for one semester and 60 for 1 year. Students who are unsuccessful will continue their education from where they left off before they are Erasmus students, but they are exempt from the courses they have been successful in as much as the total credit amount.

Who can help me with visa procedures?

Immediately after you are selected as an Erasmus student, please call the consulate of the country you are going to visit. Visa procedures and requested documents vary according to the country you will be going to. Check the relevant country's Embassy/ Consulate website. Be very careful to have completed all the required documents properly. In order to guarantee the economic situation, it will be easier for you to get a letter from Erasmus office that you are an Erasmus student and that includes the support given to you as much as the monthly grant amount.

Why do we pay a visa fee at the consulate, even though we received a letter from the university for the visa?

Consulates may request visa fees even If you are an Erasmus student, and such practices are entirely related to the governmental regulations of that country. 

Who is arranging my accommodation for my Erasmus + education/traineeship period?

It is not the responsibility of universities to arrange accommodation for students or university staff to visit. Students who are chosen as Erasmus students by our university also apply to the institution they will visit. During this application, an “accommodation form” can be sent to the student by the institution they will be visiting or information can be given about the accommodation opportunities (deadlines, required documents, dormitory / housing fees, etc.). You should follow the information provided about the accommodation, and if there is no suitable option, you should arrange your own accommodation.

Which health insurance should I take?

Although each country visited has different demands, choose the most comprehensive health insurance with international validity. It is recommended to learn the contents and scope of the insurance from headquarters. The insurance to be purchased for internship mobility should cover “Liability Insurance” against third parties.

We also require a health insurance as a requirement of the grant agreement  which is to be signed between university and student.

As an Erasmus + student, should I pay tuition fees for my own university while I am abroad?

Yes. You continue to pay tuition fee to your own university. However, you do not pay any tuituion fee at the partner university. 

Will I pay enrollment fee to the partner university?

No. The opposite university cannot charge any registration, exam or tuition fee from the student who comes under the Erasmus program. However, an additional payment may be requested for the use of various materials such as photocopy of insurance academic materials and the use of laboratory products.

Can I make changes to the Learning Agreement?

Yes. The courses you will take at the university you are paired with may not be opened, and the lesson hours may not match your schedule. In this case, you can make changes in your lessons by meeting with your department coordinator. However, the changes to be made in the education agreement for various reasons must be made within 1 month after the beginning of the academic term in the higher education institution where the student goes and must be approved by the student's own higher education institution and the authorities of the higher education institution that the student goes to. You must also use the "During Mobility" pages of your learning agreement to make changes.

How much grants can I get if I am an Erasmus + student mobility student?

The Erasmus grant is not intended to finance the entire exchange activity. It is intended only to cover the additional costs incurred by the student being abroad. The grant amounts are determined by the European Commission and the National Agency in each contract period and are deposited by the National Agency in the account of higher education institutions at certain periods.

Students are paid the grant in 2 installments. The first installment is made if the grant has been sent by the National Agency before the student goes to exchange, not to exceed 70% of the total grant. The grant to be received by the student is calculated according to the days specified in the invitation letter that is issued by host institution. However, the final grant payment to the student will be made based on the dates in the Certificate of Attendance and entry/departure dates on the passport.

Note: For study program, grants can be paid for a maximum of 4 months 15 days- even If it is longer. And for the traineeship program, the financial support will cover only two months even If you have planned your traineeship for a longer time period. You can participate to Erasmus program also without grant. Zero granted students have the same responsibilities.

Why is it necessary to open a Euro account?

Üsküdar University, each year, applies to European Union Education and Youth Programs Center (Turkish National Agency) for grant allocation and the financial support is paid in Euros as per the regulation odetermined by European Comission. 

Can I benefit from Erasmus learning mobility without a grant?

Yes, even if you do not receive money from the Erasmus fund, you can go to an educational institution that you have a bilateral agreement with as long as you are an "Grant-Free Erasmus" exchange student, provided that you meet the student selection criteria of the relevant academic year and apply. Grant-free students are also subjected to general evaluation along with other applications, and the grant goes through the same process as Erasmus students.

What is the Average Grade Requirement in Erasmus + Applications?

Students must have a grade point average of 2.20/4 for undergraduate and 2.5/4 for graduate degrees. This may change from year to year- please check the latest application calls published at the 'announcement' section of our website